Pages

6.20.2012

The Basics -- 4-Patch

The square: The Four-Patch
Why it's a Basic: 4 5-inch squares sewn together
What I learned: my machine doesn't do a 1/4" seam very well. I learned how to adapt to fix that problem. I learned the proper way to press a square. I learned the proper way to match seams. I learned the ironing trick to help the square lay flat.
What I like about this square: I matched that middle seam up without guessing! I remember thinking, this is worth the money the first day!
What I don't like: Not much. Now I think I made poor fabric choices, but this is a learning experience
Would I do anything differently: Nope. It's the most basic of squares, but don't underestimate it's importance.



Taught by Barbara R. at the Prairie Quilt Shops

Just a reminder, this unfinished quilt was photographed on an ottoman and may not appear square, but it is!