Pages

6.20.2012

The Basics -- Rail Fence


The square:  Rail Fence
Why it's a Basic:  it's a modified 4-patch:  sew together 3 strips of fabric to create a 5-inch square
What I learned: Whew, this one was hard.  I took those seams apart so many times, I resented this square.  The problem? the 1/4 inch seam.  
What I like about this square:  It's done. I like the idea of it, but this particular Rail Fence was hard -- it's a whirligig of sorts, isn't it?
What I don't like:  took a long time to conquer
Would I do anything differently:  It was an early square and I'm not sure the tree fabric works ... but it has birdies on it, and I love the birdies




The Basics: An Easy Guide to Beginning Quiltmaking by Kathy Delaney

Taught by Barbara R. at the Prairie Quilt Shops

Just a reminder, this unfinished quilt was photographed on an ottoman and may not appear square, but it is!