Pages

6.25.2012

The Basics -- Variable 9-Patch with Quarter-Square Triangle Center

I just finished my Basics Quilt Class.  Here's one of the squares I learned to construct ...
The square:Variable 9-Patch with Quarter Square Triangle Center
Why it's a Basic:Remember that Quarter-Square Triangle a few blocks back? well, it makes two sets.  For the second one, we learned how to square our blocks to a different size, this time a 5 inch block.  Once that was done, all one had to do was construct a variable 9-patch -- a skill I'd been working on a lot!!
What I learned:  Tools are your friend! Quilter's rulers have all these lines on them... and now I understand what that diagonal one is all about!  
What I like about this square:  It takes longer to say the name of the block than it does to construct it
What I don't like: nothing
Would I do anything differently: nothing




The Basics: An Easy Guide to Beginning Quiltmaking by Kathy Delaney

Taught by Barbara R. at the Prairie Quilt Shops

Just a reminder, this unfinished quilt was photographed on an ottoman and may not appear square, but it is!