Pages

6.21.2012

The Basics -- Half-Square Triangle


I just finished my Basics Quilt Class.  Here's one of the squares I learned to construct ...
The square:  Half-Square Triangle
Why it's a Basic:   Two different fabrics are put right-sides together.  Using fabric chalk, I drew a diagonal line down from one corner to the opposing corner.  Then, I drew a line 1/4" to the left and right of the middle line... and sewed on those lines.  Cutting down the middle line creates the square.  This technique pops up in several other blocks.
What I learned:  Straight lines, 1/4" is important.  Precise cutting couldn't hurt -- if I cut it wrong, there goes 10 inches of 2 different fabrics.  Not good. 
What I like about this square: Not a lot. It's a building block, really.  An important skill set to learn and it showcases a fabric I liked (hint: not the goldenrod one).
What I don't like:  The color choices
Would I do anything differently: Pick a different fabric, definitely.  The quilt top ended up not having a lot of these colors ... 


















The Basics: An Easy Guide to Beginning Quiltmaking by Kathy Delaney

Taught by Barbara R. at the Prairie Quilt Shops

Just a reminder, this unfinished quilt was photographed on an ottoman and may not appear square, but it is!