Pages

6.21.2012

The Basics -- Variable 9-Patch


I just finished my Basics Quilt Class.  Here's one of the squares I learned to construct ...
The square:Variable 9-Patch: 
Why it's a Basic: It combines both 5 inch squares and 3.5 inch squares -- takes the 9-Patch construction and mixes it up, messes with your mind.
What I learned: I broadened my horizon a bit with the fabrics, using things from my stash as well as the fat quarter bundle I bought.  
What I like about this square:  Look at those corners!  I like the 9-patch and I like the different size squares it takes to combine the block
What I don't like: --
Would I do anything differently:  I might not use that middle fabric, it's the only time I did in the quilt, but I think this was good.




The Basics: An Easy Guide to Beginning Quiltmaking by Kathy Delaney

Taught by Barbara R. at the Prairie Quilt Shops

Just a reminder, this unfinished quilt was photographed on an ottoman and may not appear square, but it is!